Monday, March 1, 2010

Feel The Rythm


We have been blessed with a string of warm spring like days, and I have been fortunate enough to get out and ride my bike in the sunshine. Life has been a little crazy lately. I laid an old dog friend to rest the beginning of last week, the Big Dummy frame has arrived, and then the in-laws blew into town for a whirlwind visit/baby shower. I indulged in a fantastic long nap Sunday afternoon to recover, and then was back to work today.

On sunny ride Saturday I noticed a very subtle, but persistent rhythm from the back of my cross bike. Told myself I should check it out, and then promptly forgot about it. I didn't it notice it yesterday on a brief ride, but then felt it again today on my commute to work. Didn't have time to diagnosis on my in to work, so I finally checked it out on my ride home. Figure out the rhythm was due to irregularity in the tread where my tire sloped from right to left. The sidewall had a pretty nasty tear in it and was barely holding together.
I was impressed that it was still holding air. I called my wife and asked for a ride at the next bike path-road junction. Probably could have made it home, but I figured I would rather catch a ride home with my lovely wife than destroy a perfectly good tube. No shame here.



The tire was a Ritchey Speedmax that came with the bike when I bought it. Had a spare WTB cross tire in my shop that I was able to throw on and keep things rolling.


Big Dummy hubs and rims have been ordered, and the frame has been Frame Saver-ed, faced and reamed. I'm really looking forward to the wheel build. More Dummy pics will be posted soon. Ride safe.


Put a few coats of varnish on the Snapdeck to give it little added protection.


-bike wrider

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your posts, Nate - and the pics add a lot. Keep it up. That's an impressive looking frame, by the way.

    ReplyDelete