Friday, July 2, 2010

Reaping the Rewards of Impulsivity



I'm visiting the in-laws at the moment, which isn't as bad as it sounds. They have a cozy little house in a beautiful part of the country. Late in the evening I pulled my wife's rigid 29er off the roof rack. Figured I'd take a quick spin up the road at the end of a long day of driving. About 100yards up from the house the road crosses a lovely little creek.




I looked at the rocky creek bed and realized the rocky cobbles of the stream bed would be perfect for a little 29er exploration. I took off upstream rolling and crawling over the rocks, hopping off and wading through shallow braids of the creek when necessary. It was a lovely ride through previously glaciated terrain, with mountain wilderness as a back drop.

I rode as far as I could before oncoming darkness required that I turn around. It wasn't a long ride, and it wasn't a fast ride (I'm pretty sure I topped out around 3mph), but it was a great ride. Crawling along a nontraditional bike route with in shorts and sandals on a warm summer evening was about the best way I can think of to unwind after too many long weeks of hectic packing and moving. The creek bed ride wasn't my plan, but I'm glad I indulged my impulsivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment