Tuesday, April 9, 2013

They Tell Me It's April

They tell me it's April, but you could have fooled me.

Spring Time in Alaska.  No offense to Johnny Horton, but June's voice makes this my preferred version of his song:
 

Had a modified version of this stuck in my head riding around last night:
"When it's springtime in Alaska there's four feet of snow."

We've had two storms move through in the past 5 days, each dropping 6-14inches of snow depending on where you're at in town.
While lot's of folks are grumbling and understandably ready for spring I've been more than happy to watch the snow come down.  And what great snow it's been.
Not the heavy wet concrete snow you'd expect in the spring, but fine, light powder. One of the finer things in life if you ask a ski bum in recovery like me.

I haven't managed to ski much lately for a variety of reasons, but I have managed to get out and ride around in the fresh stuff.

Sunset Sunday.  
In between storms. 

Over 14hours between sunrise and sunset these days.


Fat tracks in fresh snow.


The front deck on our house has a ramp instead of steps.
The previous owner built it so a wheelchair bound friend 
could drive his 4wheeler right up onto the deck and hang out.
The bike friendliness was a definite bonus when we bought the house.

Hard to tell by the photo, but it was still 
coming down hard when I was out riding last night.

Spring will appear sooner or later, but for now I'm going to keep doing my best to enjoy the amazing combination long days and great snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment